Saturday, March 7, 2009

Drag Races!

A couple of weeks ago David and I went to the NHRA Drag Races here in Phoenix at Firebird Raceway. I have watched racing of all sorts on TV with David and I was really excited to be able to go and watch it. It was LOUD but we had ear plugs so it wasn't too bad. Some of these cars are going HUNDREDS of miles an hour. They are only on the track for seconds and then they are done. It's crazy!








It took me a few tries to be able to capture some of the pics because they were going so fast but I wanted to try and get a pic as they flew down the drag strip. There was only one time that I thought I was going to die. We had walked around between the races and went to the Force Team trailer to see the car as they fixed it up for the final race. They run on nitromethane which should NOT be inhaled...but I was standing at the back of the car as they were testing this and very quickly weren't able to breath and needed to run for cover. Unfortunately so did everyone else and it almost turned into a panicked exit. I felt like I was suffocating!! It was horrible!!! It is funny now but it was NOT at the time. I had a great time overall though. Who knew I would ever be watching or understanding racing!

2 comments:

Lacy King said...

OH MY GOSH! I love the drag races. Courtney and Shawn would always invite me to them when they would go and it was some good memories I have with them! I am envious of your Drag Racing Fun! I LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

I couldn't help laughing at your gas-out. My old boss has spent years watching the races on TV and has been to a few races himself. Even after knowing about the gas-out he still found himself standing near the trailer in awe watching them work and of course was choked out and had to run away too.